Battery Life

Sunday, April 06, 2003

Battery Life...



Struck yesterday by a thought as I was on a commuter train to visit my family. I was listening to...Liszt's Transcendental Studies performed by Jena Jando on Naxos.
But alas my CD walkman was signalling low battery.
It struck me how strange and marvellous it would be if there was a relationship between the physical and mental effort required to produce the music and the battery power on your listening device. So the musicians themselves would somehow be powering our listening. In the case of the Liszt Transcendental Studies - well, they generate enough energy to power a people carrier from London to Paris...!

I had a vision of Jena Jando, like some Victorian-era Artisan, in ornate shirtsleeves, sweating away at the keyboard, in some candle-lit parlour, no time for food or water, keeping my CD Walkman alive, as I walked through the side streets of Walthamstow on a Saturday evening, heading for my station, with a stirring rendition of the fiendishly difficult "Mazeppa" - a daunting piece requiring all kinds of physical agility and perfect timing.

Yes, the Liszt Transcendental Studies are fiendishly, horrendously difficult.

So Jena Jando's CD should really come with a big red sticker on it, saying, "Bonus Battery Life"...!
But there again a laid-back "chillout" CD hailing from Ibiza: maybe only "Medium Battery life" on the sticker...
The Rolling Stones live?...Errr...High Voltage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home