Battery Life

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Years Resolutions

I was trying to figure out what makes me uncomfortable about these the other day - well, not uncomfortable exactly more at a loss as to what they actually are.

A good Wikipedia entry provides some context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year_resolution

There is a reference to earliest beginnings in 153 BC with the mythical king Janus who, with two faces, was able to look forwards and backwards:

"Janus became the ancient symbol for resolutions and many Romans looked for forgiveness from their enemies and also exchanged gifts before the beginning of each year".


That provides some historical context, which is useful...The sense of trying to reconcile past perceived shortcomings against future good intentions is not a bad way of seeing these "resolutions". And of-course there's a catch...The past is gone, and cannot be brought back, so how does one reconcile past with future? Can't be done...It's an impossible task, recalling Greek mythology again - a sysiphian task:

"I was a smoker yesterday...Tomorrow I will not be a smoker"...Thinking teleogically, picturing the future as a time in which one will have more control, one will be able to make things happen, according to a linear timeline which charts progress, is possible no more than a glorious delusion.

For, surely, human beings tend to behave and interact cyclically rather than teleogically. We tend to chase our own shadows rather than cast new ones.

So, the more accurate verbalisation, according to my theory, might in-fact be: "I smoked a lot yesterday, and tomorrow, hooray, I will not be smoking, but then the day after tomorrow, my old habit might catch up wtih me again, and I could find myself smoking again...Ouch...My optimistic, forward-moving, linear model of human behaviour just collapsed...!"


(And a Happy New Year to you too!)


And yet, and yet...The old/new resolutions keep on coming...

There is a ferocious little corner of one's mind that, only quasi-conscious perhaps, continues to churn them out - and perhaps for this reason: that with sheer force of will, perhaps a daemonic force of will, it might be possible to forge a linear, forward moving, progress-making, model for the rest of one's life. With the aid of a brace of NLP practitioners and a posse of self-help books, inspirational podcasts, and goodly audio books, it might be possible to "become that person I want to be"...


I must, I must, I will I will...


But it needs will...


Which is why so few, so very few, actually succeed in the dangerous game of New Years resolutioning.

But you do find them, one does find them.....Amongst one friends, the lonely long-distance runners, the mid-winter outdoor swimmers, the oatcake munching smilers and hopers...


They stand apart - perhaps they are the Gods, the goodly Januses of our time: have you noticed they are not always the easiest of people to brush against? Focussed, with little time for pleasantries, cognisant of only what they need to be cognisant of, engaged in the nuclear task of fusing the past and the future in to the present. No wonder, now and again, they appear tired and impatient of us lesser mortals...The ones who can't quite hack it, and for whom a promise is as good as the next Friday-night Kebab, or Thursday afternoon ice cream.

1 Comments:

  • John, I believe, for a start, that you are trying to paint my post in black and white, when actually it is in soft grey...It is a speculation on why so many people fail to change their lives, either through self-coercion (resolutions) or hand-holding (therapy).
    Nonetheless, my post was rooted in personal experience as well as observation of those around me: it didn't feel like pure intellectualising to me.

    Anyway, you have framed my post as a dismissal of the possibilities that a human being change...I don't think I was dismissing it...Or rejecting it, but I was saying how difficult it is...And, I don't care what you say, it is a darn sight more than "choosing"...If it was just choosing then change would be easy. The conscious will has to come in to it at some point.
    There is never a right time, and no-one who wants to change is ever ready.
    This is why I remain unconvinced by your citation of Perls and whoever you want to cite. In the end it's simple..There has to be some steel, some iron resolve, backing up your "choices"...

    As for the past...I never said it couldn't be changed...You might be able to change the way you reflect on it I guess...But, as a matter of fact you can't physically change or materially change the past.

    Because, guess what, it's the PAST...!!!! It's in the past...!!!!

    It's gone...You've lost it...Human beings are always grieving for the past...

    You mention acting in the present moment...Is that not what my successful resolvers do: in my post I talked about them trying to fuse the past and the future in to the present moment...Not easy, but possible.

    Requiring massive effort, and contortion for many months? Of-course...How could it not be done without work?

    By Blogger paul, At 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home